as veteran's day quickly approaches, we should honor the fallen and say "thanks" to those who have or are currently serving to protect our freedoms.
this morning, i found a terrific website - books for soldiers - in an email that allows us to give back to our service men and women. i'm a bookworm. i love to read. i have a huge stack of books to take to our local used bookstore and trade in...but never seem to take them... i'm going to register with this site and hope i can send some of these books off to our troops for their downtime. they could use them more than the bookstore.
here is a great list of other ways you can help. there are websites that you can simply and easily give thanks or send a holiday card virtually (scroll down about halfway and you'll see the link on the right hand side in a blue box). you can also read "shout outs" and messages from our troops to us, such as this one:
"I would just like to tell America, thank you for all of your support and love you give us. All of the care packages, letters and everything, it keeps our heads up and lets us know just who we are fighting for -- all of YOU. It's no wonder why I'd give the ultimate sacrifice to keep our great country free and safe. Everytime I come back from Iraq, I get applause, hand shakes, smiles, cheers, pats on the back and thank yous. It makes me feel good, knowing that I'm doing my part in protecting this great country. Again, Thank You all! Take Care and God Bless!
SrA, SLC "
that one starts to bring tears to my eyes. i couldn't decide which message i wanted to post here, but this one said so much.
and with that said...i shipped off my 5th QOV quilt top and backing yesterday to the longarm quilter. the 4th is being quilted as i type and i should see it back soon. i haven't decided on what to do for the next QOV, but i think i need to take a little break and work on finishing up xmas gifts that i have started or planned. i'm running out of time for those.
I just wanted to say Thank you for what you are doing for our service members. As an Army Wife, I get very emotional (I'm sure being pregnant helps) when I see/hear/read stories like this. Again, Thank you.
ReplyDeleteAmanda